Sunday, March 16, 2014

God is in the Details

Have you ever heard the saying "The devil is in the details"?  I'm hear to tell you that just aint true.  We serve an amazing, detailed God.  If you don't think so, just think about the human eye.  The other day I had an eye exam, my first in six years, so the eye doc wanted to dilate my eyes.  Once done I was talking with the eye glasses person, in case I wanted a pair, and my eyes started hurting really bad.  She told me it was because I had them dilated and got me a pair of those stylish sun glasses.  Yes, that's sarcasm. 
 
So driving home I was thinking about the amazing eye and how the iris dilates or retracts (not sure if that's the correct term) in order to let in or keep out the appropriate amount of light.  I thanked God for such an amazing detail in this human body and when I did, He reminded me of something that happened while we were in Ukraine.  Something I've wanted to share with you, but for some reason not until now.  I guess it's one of those "Mary things" where she pondered them in her heart.  This was one of my ponderings because it was so personal, that it really was only a big deal to me even though it was a very minute detail.  Today as I was trying to take a nap I felt a nagging that I finally needed to share this.  Maybe you are the one who needs to read it just for today.
 
By Dec 21st of 2013 I had been in Ukraine adopting our three children for almost 6 weeks.  I was tired to say the least, had been sick, was feeling better, but still recuperating my strength.  When I don't feel well small things seem to matter more. Jode had been in another region, springing two of our babies from the orphanage and arrived the next morning, very early, in the region where I was.  Our precious Leza was celebrating her 4th birthday that day, Dec 22nd.  Since this was her first birthday celebrated in her family, I wanted it to be very special.  I had purchased her an adorable outfit and Katherine and Asa were coming to help us celebrate.  Katherine is a photographer and was going to capture this very special day for us so of course, I wanted it to be perfect.  Now if you know anything about us Southern Mommy's you know that our daughter's ensemble is not complete without a coordinating bow in her hair.  Not only did I not have a bow, I did not have a rubber band to get her hair out of her face.  Poor little pumpkin all dressed up in her pretty pink and purple and her hair was covering up her pretty little face.  Until . . .
 
I had gone to the kitchen to make a cup of tea.  I made tea for myself several times a day since it was very cold while we were their, and I happen to love tea.  It's comfort food for me.  There was a cute little wire tea cup holder in our apartment with about four tea cups hung from it, and I had used those cups so often.  So while I'm making my tea, fretting about Leza's hair and planning to make a trip to the open market, you can imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw it.  I know it had not been there previously.  I would have seen it after all, the wire tea cup holder only held one tea cup at present because the rest were either in use or needing washed.  So how could it have gotten there?  Who could have put it there.  I asked Jode but he had no clue.  So I wept, silent tears, but tears of immense thankfulness, for my God who knows my heart, even the smallest detail.  It was small, very small, perfect for a little girls thin hair.  A perfect white rubber band which made this Mommy's heart sing. 
 
God has a way of saying "I'm here, and I'm working on your behalf down to the smallest detail."  I'm so thankful that He is.  When I'm discouraged about the big picture, I remember that He cares enough about me to make sure I had a small white rubber band.  God is in the details, even those that matter to only me. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

One last trip

One more trip.  Just one more and this time we get to bring them home. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.  I know God's...